The General Manager of the Millwoods Minor Football Association is a position that is appointed for a two year term by the Board of Directors. The General Manager will optimize the relationship between the President, Board of Directors and members pertaining to football operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Attendance at monthly Board meetings.
- Attend monthly Capital District Minor Football Association meetings.
- Serve a two year term at minimum.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the association.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of external issues that affect the association.
- Is a partner with the President and Directors in achieving the association’s mission.
Program Planning & Management for Coaching Staff
- In early January schedules meeting with head coaches at all levels (Atom, Peewee, Bantam and Midget).
- Based on this meeting, determine which coaches are returning and which are not. In the case of a head coach not returning to the association, gage input from the other coaches as to how and where to find a suitable candidate for the vacant position.
- Determine which assistant coaches will be returning to the association.
- Inform Board of Directors of all returning coaches and positions needed to be filled at February Board meeting.
- Update coach’s certification list and discuss with the Board which coaches require development for the upcoming season.
- The University of Calgary holds a certification course weekend in March. It is good practice for the association to send up to 3 coaches per year for initial certification or upgrading to Level II or Level III. Registration for this course should be made in February.
- List all returning coaches for introduction at the Annual General Meeting.
- In Early March ensure all coaches Police Records Check information is updated and input any new or relevant data into coach’s master spreadsheet.
- Once the regular season begins, the General Manager is responsible for holding coaches meetings monthly for any updates or situations that may arise.
Program Planning & Management for Regular Season
- In February or March attend the City of Edmonton field allocation meeting to ensure our program needs are met.
- Attend all CDMFA coaching and regular meetings to receive information on any league or Canadian Amateur Football rule or regulation changes.
- Communicate any changes to the appropriate coaching staff and Board of Directors.
Program Planning & Management for Equipment
- After the Annual General Meeting is held, work with the Volunteer Director to identify and recruit 3 positions for equipment managers.
- Develop and/or update the “Equipment Manager Manual” for incoming volunteers.
- Work with these volunteers to explain the scope of the position.
- Train and communicate regularly with these volunteer positions to ensure the equipment needs of the program are met.
Program Planning & Management for Spring Camp
- In early April along with the Board of Directors decides on a date for annual Spring Camp.
- In mid April schedules meeting with head coaches at the Atom, Peewee and Bantam level to discuss spring camp details. Responsible for determining all necessary details including (but not limited to):
- Number of stations.
- Specific skills for each station.
- Number of coaches required to run the station and which coaches are able to volunteer for that weekend.
- Time at each station.
- Work with the Equipment Director to ensure the association has the adequate supplies needed.
- In early May the General Manager must work with the Registrar, Volunteer Director, Communications Director, Equipment Director, and Concession Director to set out a detailed 2 day agenda for the program.
- On Spring Camp weekend, the General Manager is responsible for field set- up and take-down, ensuring all equipment is present at each station and is the overall program administrator for the 2-day event.
Program Planning & Management Video Program
- The General Manager is responsible for recruiting a video coordinator for the season to ensure that all games are filmed to use as a valuable tool for coaching.
- A video coordinator job description is already in place to help guide the General Manger in finding a suitable candidate and explaining specific duties.