As President of the Millwoods Minor Football Association, assure that the Board of Directors fulfills its responsibilities for the governance of the association. The President will optimize the relationship between the Board and the association’s members.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Attendance at monthly Board meetings.
- Serve a two year term at minimum.
- Serves as the chief volunteer of the association.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the association.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the association.
- Is a partner with the General Manager and Directors in achieving the association’s mission.
- Foster effective team work between the Board of Directors and the association’s members.
- Helps guide and mediate Board actions with respect to organizational priorities and governance concerns.
Operational Planning & Management
- Develops agendas for meetings with the Board of Directors.
- Chairs meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Attends Capital District Minor Football Association meetings.
- Recommends to the Board which committees are to be established.
- Ensures that Board matters are handled properly, including committee functioning, recruitment of new Board members, orientations, and meeting preparation.
- Appoints the chairpersons of committees, in consultation with other Board members.
- Monitors financial planning and financial reports management.
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization.
Human resources planning and management
- Recruit and interview potential Board members that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the association’s mission.
- Ensure that all Board members receive an orientation to the association.
Program Planning & Management
- Reviews with the Vice President any issues of concern to the board in regards to on-field issues.
- In consultation with the Vice President, decide course of action with regards to member suspensions in accordance with the Millwoods Minor Football Association registration manual.
- Annually evaluates the performance of the organization in achieving its mission and objectives
- Annually reviews matters of governance that relate to the Board’s structure, role, and relationship to its members.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its members and Board.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the association policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the association’s programs and services.
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the association contribute to the association’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
- The President sets the date, time, location and agenda for the Annual General Meeting by February 1st.
Financial planning and management
- Work with Treasurer and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the association’s people (players, coaches, volunteers, and Directors), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the association carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the Board and association members understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage.
Program Planning & Management for Coaching Staff
- In early January schedules meeting with head coaches at all levels (Atom, Peewee, Bantam and Midget).
- Based on this meeting, determine which coaches are returning and which are not. In the case of a head coach not returning to the association, collect input from the other coaches as to how and where to find a suitable candidate for the vacant position.
- Determine which assistant coaches will be returning to the association.
- Inform Board of Directors of all returning coaches and positions needed to be filled at February Board meeting.
- Update coach’s certification list and discuss with the Board which coaches require development for the upcoming season.
- The University of Calgary holds a certification course weekend in March. It is good practice for the association to send up to 3 coaches per year for initial certification or upgrading to Level II or Level III. Registration for this course should be made in February.
- List all returning coaches for introduction at the Annual General Meeting.
- In Early March ensure all coaches Police Records Check information is updated and input any new or relevant data into coach’s master spreadsheet.
- Once the regular season begins, responsible for holding coaches meetings monthly for any updates or situations that may arise.
Program Planning & Management for Spring Camp
- In early April along with the Board of Directors decides on a date for annual Spring Camp.
- In mid April schedules meeting with head coaches at the Atom, Peewee and Bantam level to discuss spring camp details. Responsible for determining all necessary details including (but not limited to):
- Number of stations.
- Specific skills for each station.
- Number of coaches required to run the station and which coaches are able to volunteer.
- Time at each station.
- Ensure the association has the adequate supplies needed.
- In early May set out a detailed agenda for the program.
- On Spring Camp weekend, responsible for field set- up and take-down, ensuring all equipment is present at each station and is the overall program administrator for the event.